Thursday, April 22, 2010

April Jam...

Photo from bbcgoodfood.com

So after my excessive purchase of 3 flats of strawberries... I spent all last week running the race against rotting berries.   And the result was 20 pints of Jam: Strawberry Jam and Strawberry Rhubarb Jam.   I have tried them both and they are delicious, although the strawberry could have used a bit more sugar.   I still have some berries left and I threw them in the freezer last weekend... I was trying to decide on what else to make... pancake syrup?  Ice cream sundae syrup?  

I have decided what I will do with them... and it will be a surprise for my Project Runway watching friends....

Strawberry Jam
from the Joy of Cooking

1 quart of strawberries
2-4 cups of sugar (depending upon your tastes)

Wash, dry, stem and cut strawberries.   Put them into a very heavy cooking pot and cover with sugar (start with 1/2 cup).   Stir the mixture very gently over low heat until it has "juiced up".    Taste for sweetness and add sugar if necessary.  Raise the heat to moderate and begin stirring occasionally, continue to cook until mixture thickens up, I use a thermometer and work until jam hits 220 degrees.   I continue to taste for sweetness adding sugar while the strawberries are breaking down.   Once jam has hit 220, I remove from the heat and place in sterilized jars and process.  


Strawberry Rhubarb Jam
adapted from Joy of Cooking

1 quart of rhubarb
4-8 cups of sugar (depending upon your tastes)
2 quarts of strawberries

Cut rhubarb into small pieces and sprinkle sugar over it (start with 2 cups).   Put them into a very heavy cooking pot and cook over low heat until rubarb starts to break up, taste for sweetness and add more sugar if necessary.    Wash, dry, stem and cut strawberries. Stir into rhubarb mixture and add more sugar (1 cup at a time). Raise the heat to moderate and begin stirring occasionally, continue to cook until mixture thickens up, I use a thermometer and work until jam hits 220 degrees. I continue to taste for sweetness adding sugar while the strawberries are breaking down. Once jam has hit 220, I remove from the heat and place in sterilized jars and process.

No comments:

Post a Comment