Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Thursday night dinners

(picture via Parade)

Some girlfriends and I get together every Thursday night for dinner and Project Runway. I love our Thursday nights... lots of wine and good food. This past Thursday I gave Walshie a break and told her I would cook so that she could have a week off. My original intention was to make red chili cheese enchiladas with lots of onion, since I have about a gallon of my coveted NM red chili in my freezer. But instead I made a recipe I have been holding onto for sometime... Banh-mi sandwiches created by Dorie Greenspan. Dorie originally published this recipe in Parade Magazine and also discussed it on her blog: here and here. She was also kind enough to help me out when I was trying to figure out - Which sweet red chili sauce to use?  In addition to the sandwich I also prepared the components of a roll-your-own-spring-roll plate with a few different dipping sauces. The menu was a huge hit.  The only shift from Dories’ recipe is that I pounded each chicken breast flat and then marinated the chicken in a mixture of: lime juice, olive oil, cilantro, honey and chili garlic sauce. I also cooked the chicken on my new Le Creuset grill pan that I got for Christmas and used homemade mayonnaise on the bread. This sandwich is totally irresistible and the flavors are those that I continually crave. I absolutely loved it. I can't wait to try the rest of the recipes from this article.

No comments:

Post a Comment