Thursday, July 29, 2010

Recipe: Slab Pies



Mac and I are going on a little road trip to see some friends this weekend.    We haven't had a vacation or taken much time off in quite a while - we are desperately hoarding our vacation for our elopement or as I have started referring to it as - "when we run away from home".   Because at this point we don't really know what we are doing... seriously (but my friends that is a whole other post).   But I am really looking forward to some time away from the office, I will admit too many consecutive days working has really taken a toll on my attitude... but my attitude wasn't the point of the story, SLAB PIE was the point!  Focus Brooke, Focus.

My favorite pies in the world are slab pies, it is like a grown-up pop tart - just enough filling, with lots of pastry and icing (oh yes don't forget the icing)!   My favorite and go-to recipe is Martha's Sour Cherry Slab Pie.  I have also made a slab pie using peaches, but I have to tell you because of the nature of the slab pie I am always worried it is going to be too "juicy" and spill out all over.   So I have been studying other examples of the slab pie to get a feel for them.

Genius... I even found a recipe for a savory slab pie!   I thought to myself, what a great idea, so simple yet now that I think about it, embarrassingly obvious. 

Cheesy Potato Slab Pie
Sour Cherry Slab Pie (this is the slab pie I always make)
Apple Slab Pie
Nectarine Blueberry Slab Pie
Peach Vanilla Bean Slab Pie
Strawberry Rhubarb Slab Pie, another recipe
Crumb Topped Apple Slab Pie
Brandied Apricot Almond Slab Pie
Blackberry Apple Slab Pie
Apple Cranberry Slab Pie
Peach Raspberry Slab Pie

No comments:

Post a Comment