Thursday, June 24, 2010

Canning: Confiture de vieux garcon or Rumtopf

Photo from Eating Out Loud


So I have failed the Can Jam Challenge!   I haven't canned anything since April... boo.   I haven't been very inspired to can... then I came across this recipe: Confiture de vieux garcon on Tigress in a Jam.   Here is how she explains it: confiture de vieux garçon (jam of old boy, or bachelor) is a traditional french method of preserving a season's worth of fruit in alcohol. in certain circles north and east of the siene, it's also known as rumtopf (rum pot).   So basically you layer fruit in a crock covering it with sugar and booze with each addition, you then let it macerate for 3 to 6 months. 

So I started my crock with some strawberries this weekend.   Hopefully I will get to add some gooseberries from the yard in a few weeks (birds be damned)!



Rumtopf Info

Whats4eats
Eating out Loud
Answer bag

Confiture de vieux garcon Info

Labelle Cusine
Ducasse Flavors of France

No comments:

Post a Comment