Friday, June 11, 2010

For Sara...





I have been reading the Savory Baking cookbook by Mary Cech, and I think it is an excellent cookbook.  I haven't had a chance to try anything out but it all looks mighty tasty.   However, one recipe caught my eye, but we must first clear the confusion that this book caused.   See those little puffs above... well Ms. Cech calls them profiteroles but I always thought profiteroles were sweet and gougeres were savory, if that is true why are these buggers  in a book called savory baking?    I figured I must be uninformed and of course I was disappointed because I had finally mastered the pronunciation of the goo-jair.   So I hit up Google and found out that I am correct.  

Profiterole = Sweet Pate choux
Gougeres = Savory Pate choux
Cream Puff = Profiterole for Americans

Ok... enough with  I am right and you are wrong lesson for the day and back to the reason for this entire post.   Sara, I saw this recipe in this cookbook and immediately thought of you and it is genius and I can't believe we didn't think of it.  

Profiteroles stuffed with caprese salad

No recipe really needed here.   Whip up your favorite gougeres (ours is Ina Garten's from her Barefoot in Paris Cookbook), let them cool, crack them open and fill them with a chopped up caprese salad, like this one by our favorite Smitten Kitchen, although the bean thing is a little weird for me.  Here is another one published in the Washington Post

No comments:

Post a Comment