Wednesday, February 3, 2010

The Mixed Tape...

The making of a great compilation tape, like breaking up, is hard to do and takes ages longer than it might seem. You gotta kick off with a killer, to grab attention. Then you got to take it up a notch, but you don't wanna blow your wad, so then you got to cool it off a notch. There are a lot of rules.   - Rob Gordon, High Fidelity

I am a HUGE fan of the mix tape makin' process a' la John Cusack in High Fidelity. The charm of my teenage-80's obsession has never worn off.  So every month I compile together a collection of songs to listen to - usually new releases but always new to me.   As you might expect, some months are better than others based on the new selections available.  I have moved on to the mixed CD, but that isn't the only thing that has changed, like I no longer wait by the raido to push record at the perfect moment just to be disappointed when the radio jockey talks through the end of the song.   Also now, thankfully am all grown up and have a job, you know, to pay that I-Tunes bill every month.   

Oddly my cd compilations have not been that great for the past couple of months... I am not sure what is going on - if there is a serious music drought or maybe I was just too busy to listen.  I did, however, enjoy my January...

The Radio Dept. - Messy Enough
Jack Penate - Pull My Heart Away
Phoenix - 1901
Small Engine Repair - How Long
Holly Long - Trust Me
She Ain't Me - Carrie Rodriguez
Sonya Kitchell - For Every Drop
Charlene Soraia - Daffodils
Fink - This is the Thing
Rosi Golan - Come Around
Regina Specktor - Eet

No comments:

Post a Comment