Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Broccoli Soup


I had a head of broccoli left in my vegetable drawer from my last produce delivery and dinner time had arrived.   I scrambled to think of what I was going to make for dinner.   My fridge was pretty barren since I am traveling two weekends in a row.  What shall I eat... a broccoli stir fry, roasted broccoli, pasta with broccoli... I settled on a quick broccoli soup.   Delicious.

Broccoli Soup

1 Tablespoon of butter
1 head of broccoli, cut into pieces
½ of an onion chopped
1 clove of garlic, minced
2-3 cups of chicken broth, or more for thinning
½ cup of cream or half and half
Salt and pepper

Melt butter in stock pot. Once hot add onion and sauté for two minutes; add broccoli, season with salt and pepper, and sauté for 5 minutes; add garlic and sauté for 1 more minute. Pour in broth (I used vegetable broth because that is what I had in the pantry) and simmer for 20 minutes, check soup for seasoning and add more salt or pepper to taste. Puree soup with a hand blender and stir in cream or half in half to give it some body (you can use less or more). Serve alone or topped with a bit of cheddar cheese or some croutons.

Recipe note: Most broccoli soup recipes only call for using the florets; I use all of the broccoli including the stems. To prepare stems I usually cut them away from the florets and then peel them with a vegetable peeler and chop. I also do not puree my soup; I prefer a chunkier soup so I always leave my soups whole.

Bon appetite

(Picture from Food and Wine)

1 comment: